Cathryn C. Schmidt
Cathryn C. Schmidt
Cathryn Schmidt is an experienced and highly regarded family law attorney who draws on more than 20 years of legal experience when representing her clients in family law matters. She represents her clients in all matters with respect to family law including custody, parenting time, asset valuation and division and orders for protection. Cathy has been named a “Rising Star” by Minnesota Law and Politics and was recently recognized for her excellence in family law by selection to the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers. She has also attained the highest rating possible from Martindale Hubbell for both her legal ability and ethical standards as rated by her colleagues and judges. While she is well-versed in settlement negotiation and mediation (she is a qualified mediator), Cathy is also an experienced trial attorney and has successfully litigated scores of contested family law matters, both at the trial court level and at the Court of Appeals. She recently argued a case to the Minnesota Supreme Court.
Before joining Collins, Buckley, Sauntry & Haugh, Cathy was a partner at Edina’s Swaden Law Offices, where she spent 14 years devoting her practice exclusively to family law. Her prior experience includes clerking for the Honorable Gordon W. Schumaker and the Honorable John S. Connolly in Ramsey County District Court. Ms. Schmidt assisted Judge Schumaker (now retired from the Minnesota Court of Appeals) in the determination of complex litigation matters, including Minnesota’s landmark silicone breast implant insurance coverage declaratory judgment action. Following her clerkships, she developed a reputation for excellent trial advocacy as a Ramsey County Public Defender while maintaining a private practice devoted primarily to family law.
Cathy is a long-standing member of the Warren E. Burger Inn of Court, a membership of attorneys and judges that promotes excellence in advocacy at the trial and appellate levels of Minnesota’s court system. She volunteers as a mentor at the University of St. Thomas School of Law.
- William Mitchell College of Law, St. Paul, Minnesota
- J.D. - 1994
- Honors: cum laude
- University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- B.A. - 1982
- Major: Political Science
- Ramsey County Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Warren E. Burger Inn of Court
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- AV – Preeminent Martindale-Hubbell Rating in both Legal Ability and Ethical Standards
- “Rising Star” by Minnesota Law and Politics
- University of St. Thomas Law School, Mentor
- Former Co-Chair Ramsey County Family Law Section
- Professional singer with the Minnesota Opera Company
Current Employment Position